While it’s still summer I want to post one of my favorite easy appetizers. I call them Caprese Sticks and they are just a portable twist on Caprese salad. They make great snacks too!
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
2. Fresh basil
3. Fresh or smoked mozzarella cheese, cubed (smoked mozzarella is what’s pictured here but you can also get fresh, convenient marble-sized balls)
4. Extra virgin olive oil
5. Sea salt (Himalayan is my favorite but smoked sea salt is also a nice option)
6. Freshly cracked black pepper
7. Red pepper flakes and/or Bird’s Eye Chili powder (optional)
- On each toothpick alternate skewering a cube or ball of mozzarella, a whole basil leaf and a tomato.
2. Arrange the Caprese Sticks on a platter.
3. Drizzle all over with olive oil until each stick is lightly coated.
4. Sprinkle sea salt to taste.
5. Add freshly cracked black pepper and red chili, if desired.
*Avocado chunks can be used as a substitution for the cheese as a satisfying, dairy-free option.
*Photographs by Cristina Howell